Friday, October 5, 2012

Making Me New


              
 



              The night of my “No Mo Chemo” party was a night of many wonderful memories.  By far the best moment of the night was when I pulled up to the house.  The scene of so many of my friends/family standing on the lawn for my support was completely overwhelming.  After how horrendous the previous months had been, I was ready to celebrate, and I could not have hand-picked better people to celebrate with.  The party was wonderful, and I had an amazing time.  It felt so good to feel well again, and it finally seemed like the worst of the darkness had lifted.  Since February I have been consumed with surviving this awful cancer, and I did not think about what survival would entail.  I have since discovered that it is much more difficult than I could have ever imagined.

                Life keeps moving forward, and things have returned to normal.  There seems to be just one small issue, I am not the same person.  This is true for many reasons. One major adjustment is that my life will now consist of labs, CT scans, and colonoscopies…each served with a side of stress and worry that my cancer will make a grand reappearance. I have several scars on my abdomen, and one on my chest, that serve as a constant reminder of the pain I have been through.  My future plans have been erased, and our plans for our family have to be redrawn. My dreams of having at least one more child may not come true, as we will have to wait at least three years before even thinking of having more children.  Even then, it may no longer be an option.  My children and grandchildren will have to undergo colonoscopies at a very young age, because of me.  I will now always be that girl who got colon cancer.   This is my new reality.

                I was diagnosed with cancer. Sometimes Phil and I still sit in shock that this has happened to us, and for small moments, we feel sorry for ourselves. While these feelings may be inevitable, we do not dwell on them. As hard as you may try, you cannot hide from pain or hurt, it will always find you in some way or another. Eventually you just have to understand that it is what it is, or as we tell Jackson “You get what you get, and you don’t throw a fit.” We each have to face our own battles in life, some much worse than others.  What I have learned is that these battles strengthen and define us.  While my scars remind me of the pain I endured, they also are a sign strength and endurance.   I can now look at my life in a new way, and be so thankful for each small moment and blessing.  I now fully understand what means to not take things for granted. I may not be the same person that I was before I got cancer, but I like to think that I am a better person because of it. 

                Recently, I went with my best friend Melissa to get my first tattoo.  This was my ‘made it through chemotherapy’ gift to myself.  I had Psalm 119;105 inked onto my right foot. Yes, I meant to put a semi colon between the verses. This was Melissa’s idea to represent colon cancer, and the “semi-colon” that I have left.  This tattoo serves as a constant reminder that while I have to navigate my path on my own, it is much easier if it is lit by God.  My faith has grown stronger and my path has become much brighter over the past several months, but the shadow of cancer will always remain.  As much as I want to pretend like none of this ever happened, I am learning that I will carry this with me for the rest of my life in some way or another.  My life may never be the same, but for now, I am so grateful to be around to see what life will be like on my new path. 
 

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment